Monday, 4 April 2005

By Doing Nothing You're Letting Millions of People Die. Take Responsibility

I was wandering into Nottingham city centre to purchase the new album by Death From Above 1979 entitled 'You're a Woman, I'm a Machine' and I stumbled upon a massive piece of graffiti on the underpass to the Broadmarsh shopping centre (which smells of piss and is usually the stomping ground of gangs of teenagers in caps and white socks...not just caps and socks obviously otherwise that'd be a bit weird).

It made me stop. It made me think and then a word came into my head: truth. I pulled out my camera phone and documented it before it was removed by the City Council. I looked around to see other people's reactions to it, they too had stopped and were chatting about it; it had stimulated some kind of discussion and shaking of heads.

I've been thinking a lot recently about politics, about our responsibilities as citizens in a society, about buying into the political process and empowering ourselves, to make our voices heard rather than sulking off in a fug of apathy and nihilism. I've been thinking about protesting and public demonstration, about strikes and about any means necessary to make your point, to have your voice heard and to win back politics from the safehouses of Westminster and the White House and make it something that matters to all of us, rather than the elite few.

After all, it's always belonged to us...politics that is.

I believe that the blood of all the Iraqi civilians needlessly killed, as well as the blood of all the soldiers whose lives have been lost in fighting a flawed and disgustingly corrupt war is on my hands, on our hands. We have to do something, we can't have the world laughing at us like they laughed at America for voting in that animal again. I wonder if we'll have the guts? I hope so.

Anyway, the Death From Above 1979 album is really good if you like the sounds of drums, thrashed bass and fuzzed out synths mashing into a brick of music that careers towards to your head like debris from a riot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not be under the misapprehension that this blog has a laissez-faire comments policy where commenters can get away with whatever they want to say on account of their ‘freedom of speech’.

Blurred Clarity has a stringent comments policy. So anything off-topic, diversionary, trollish, abusive, misogynist, racist, homophobic or xenophobic will be deleted.

Cheers duckies.