Monday, 30 May 2005

Conversational Black Hole



I went out last night, tired of being cooped up in the house in some vague act of mourning for Marie's absence. And any way I smelt of sweat and stale body spray so I needed a reason to shower and get the hell out.

So I met up with mates from school at the Castle pub just round the corner from my gaff and had a few jars of ale. I was in the midst of the a chat with the lovely Gemma when I did something that I rarely do, I entered a conversational black hole, a cul-de-sac of of confabulation, a nightmare of vocalised thoughts.

Now I pride myself on my ability to chat shit, to talk endlessly without making a single social faux-pas, it's one of my gifts and makes up for how much I sweat but on this one occasion it all went wrong. It was like watching a car crash, I had a near-death experience as I babbled on to Gemma and I saw myself making an ass of myself.

I won't go into details here, it won't make sense out of context but needless to say that the direction my oration took me was so vacuous, posturing and barren that I blush to think of it.

It was that bad I nearly had a panic attack.

5 comments:

  1. You've just described my life. Whenever I get into a small-talk situation, I turn into a stunned Jackie Gleason. Instead of witty repartee, I come out with something akin to "Homina homina homina..."

    I'm fine if I have to talk to a large group of people. I'm great at telling people what needs to be done in a business situation. But small talk is beyond me.

    Welcome to my world.

    And by the way, you don't sweat. You just carry around your own climate.

    Yeharr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate your world BP and I want to back home...

    *Clicks heels of red slippers together*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers for the invitation to The Castle, but I was in Dartmoor for the weekend. Such a shame I missed your social humiliation, maybe next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be nice to meet up before I move out of Camberwell in September.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever you find yourself babbling like a brook into an underground spring, remember the first ground rule of bullshit.

    Always...

    ALWAYS begin every sentence with, "I don't know if I should be telling you this."

    Gossip is supposed to be exaggerated, it's the whole "sell the sizzle" principle at work.

    ReplyDelete

Please do not be under the misapprehension that this blog has a laissez-faire comments policy where commenters can get away with whatever they want to say on account of their ‘freedom of speech’.

Blurred Clarity has a stringent comments policy. So anything off-topic, diversionary, trollish, abusive, misogynist, racist, homophobic or xenophobic will be deleted.

Cheers duckies.