Wednesday, 28 September 2005

When There's No More Room in Hell the Dead Will Walk the Earth


No, I'm not talking about Telford where we are playing tonight (and where the adjoining library has free internet access, so I can cram in another post while I wait to perform. HURRAH!) but the tagline to George Romero's greatest zombie movie that I stayed up late to watch last night: 'Dawn of the Dead'.

For all my concerns about Grantham as the home of the terrible face of uber-conservatism the audience were well up for a good night at the theatre and seemed to really enjoy themselves. The journeys in the people carrier to the venues are also providing some entertainment as everyone else in the car seems to have really bad music taste. That's not quite fair but when you're having to argue the merits of ground breaking bands like 'The Beatles' and 'The Stooges' you're on to a loser. Nevermind the fact they (excluding Kev) are musical bigots with a knee jerk reaction to dismissing all hip-hop as 'noise' and/or rubbish. They are however in their late 30s so maybe the old men should be forgiven?

We also keep debating 'Bouncers' from a critical performance perspective which exposes some of its latent elements of homophobia and sexism. I love de-constructing theatre, breaking it down past it's component parts and tearing into the institutionalised attitudes that underpin it.

Some sad news before I go and warm-up, Jessica has seemingly decided to close her blog 4zillion which is a real shame as she offered an intelligent and compassionate voice as a woman raising her beautiful daughter. You and your words will be sorely missed.

4 comments:

  1. So if Dawn of the Dead is Romero's greatest zombie movie, what is his WORST zombie movie?

    What is his greatest NON-zombie movie?

    Where is the smell from my hair coming from?

    Yeharr

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'I love de-constructing theatre, breaking it down past it's component parts and tearing into the institutionalised attitudes that underpin it.'

    that sounds extremely interesting. ever write posts about that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surpassed only by Shawn of the Dead. Thanks for the kind words, Daniel. I'm sure I'll keep lurking around here somewhere. Best,
    -J

    ReplyDelete
  4. BP: too many questions dude!

    Whichisit: I write essays about that and industry papers but rarely on my blog. Sometimes I do but it feels a little bit like talking shop. But you've stabbed me into thinking about giving it a go.

    Jessica: Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Please do not be under the misapprehension that this blog has a laissez-faire comments policy where commenters can get away with whatever they want to say on account of their ‘freedom of speech’.

Blurred Clarity has a stringent comments policy. So anything off-topic, diversionary, trollish, abusive, misogynist, racist, homophobic or xenophobic will be deleted.

Cheers duckies.