Tuesday, 4 October 2005

A History of Violence


Marie and I went to see David Cronenberg's latest movie last night, title felt appropriate in the face of my last post and it proved to be stimulating viewing.

I am intrigued by the idea that if someone who did terrible things in the past wants to change their life for the better, to start again, to repent but who does not want to be punished; deserves that chance?

Humans like to punish each other, modern humans like the idea of 'bad people' getting better after punishment. That's why people who show no sign of remorse or seem incapable of stopping their 'evil' behaviour appall our sensibilities so much.

The reason I am so intrigued by the concepts in the film is that (on a smaller scale) I made the same move as the protagonist in 'A History of Violence'. That is changed a life of violence and crime for one of respectability and making something of myself. Occasionally the past comes back and pays a visit but most of my enemies are dead or inside, the visits I get now are from ghosts or hearing on the grapevine of another brother dead. More on that later I think but for now go and click on the pig.

7 comments:

  1. I'm all for a rebirth, but not sure if one can get by without being punished. And the punishment would depend on the crime committed. I have no problem forgetting the past and welcoming a changed man, but lessons need to be learned and I don't think they can truly sink in without proper teaching.

    And by no means am I referring to any sort of torture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And so I just clicked on the pig. Extremely stupid, yet I can't stop clicking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pig is serving me an endless plate of amusement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Punishments, to me, are like funerals. Funerals are for the living and not the dead and punishments are for the wronged and not the criminal. Makes no matter what sort of punishment you mettle out, if the guy wants to fuck up again, he's gonna. No teaching can change that. Nothing can. If anything, it's fear of more punishment rather than a learned change of heart that influences a person's...I'll use the word rehabilitation, and further behavior. Much in the same way that the argument against spanking explains that spanking is wrong. The difference is, spanking as punishment works on someone who is in a developmental status like kids are, so punishment teaches behavior. We all know that sooner or later, spanking stops working and when spanking no longer works, the window of opportunity for teaching is lost. That's how I see it anyhow.

    As for the play, I read it and I love it. I think it would be an absolute blast to perform. I also read Teechers which looks just as fun in it's own way. I love those sort of plays. I would be very interested in seeing a video of your production if you have one and wouldn't mind sharing. I'd like to see how it translates to the stage in your impression. I would guess that my visuals in my head are rather at odds with your realities.

    I need to move on.

    Until later...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't have a video just yet Jeff but glad to see you've read the plays and be nice to discuss the comedy merits of the work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good film and even better actor.... love Viggo Mortensen...more than the pig.

    ReplyDelete

Please do not be under the misapprehension that this blog has a laissez-faire comments policy where commenters can get away with whatever they want to say on account of their ‘freedom of speech’.

Blurred Clarity has a stringent comments policy. So anything off-topic, diversionary, trollish, abusive, misogynist, racist, homophobic or xenophobic will be deleted.

Cheers duckies.