Sunday, 30 October 2005

Spent in Selby


I arrived in Selby, did the show then scarpered, getting back to London this afternoon. Selby now joins the endless blur of British towns that have been at the receiving end of Bouncers. Needless to say that people who live in the arse end of nowhere (to be fair Selby wasn't as bad as Goole or Gainsborough and they had a cool fish and chip shop) turn up en masse to the gig and bloody love it.

And bloody love it they did, they were one of the most responsive and adoring crowds we've had in a long while; which leaves me feeling all the more sheepish for the unshakable gnawing in my gut which finds it all a bit disappointing.

Typical actor, you get a job, get the money and you should be bloody grateful. Maybe but why should that stop a questioning mind? I just can't help but think that Bouncers is such a success because the writer, John Godber, 'sold-out' and pitched it as an overtly comedic piece rather than what could have been a show that challenged the spectator to the core.

I could see it in the audience, Lucky Eric (played well by Richard) is the play's heart and soul, the serious voice in the mire of obvious comedy but at any given opportunity (and encouraged by the script, perhaps by our interpretation of it) they use laughter to escape the difficult realities of what Lucky Eric is saying. That escape route doesn't have to be there but it is because Godber didn't want the audience hectored but he went too far. He neutered his own work so it would sell more.

I can feel this welling up inside me and I am taking my character, Judd, darker and darker in an effort to battle against the audience's wishes. Perhaps it's a good thing we only have 3 weeks to go and perhaps I am a selfish, stupid bastard and perhaps I am an ungrateful sod who thinks too much.

Maybe.

7 comments:

  1. Selfish, stupid bastard? It's possible Dan. It's definitely possible. Having said that. Dark is good. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True True True, I felt whilst watching that we were "Let of the hook" far to soon and didn't get enough time to let Lucky Eric in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughter isn't necessarily an escape. It sometimes cuts to the core of problems the way "serious" works can't, e.g. A Modest Proposal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if was very poignant. It was played well and the seriousness showed through, it made me think afterwards.... Judd became darker as the piece went on... don't worry so much about it...it worked Dan....I am a dramaturg I should know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Sal, I certainly take Judd into some dark places in the second act and I like that. It feels proper.

    ReplyDelete

Please do not be under the misapprehension that this blog has a laissez-faire comments policy where commenters can get away with whatever they want to say on account of their ‘freedom of speech’.

Blurred Clarity has a stringent comments policy. So anything off-topic, diversionary, trollish, abusive, misogynist, racist, homophobic or xenophobic will be deleted.

Cheers duckies.