Wednesday, 28 December 2005

Our Style is Legendary: The End


I've been writing a play about growing up in Nottingham for some time, the first seeds were sown back in 1999, the idea from way before then and the funding came in 2001 but it kinda ground out to a halt after all that. Loss of faith from others a painful inability by me to spill my blood on the keyboard.

December has been spent trying to finish it thanks to a kind nudge from Keith Hukin at Reform Theatre. Now I have to try and get it put on somewhere, find an agent and email it to my friends to read.

It's been a labour of love, a true story that needs to be told, here is the end of the play...

DANNY

He said God needed him there and that it was his time to go. He said that his time was done on this earth and he was needed by Jesus in his kingdom of eternal peace and it may seem early in his life but God's calling comes to us all at different times and let us be grateful for the time that we he had with him…

MICHAEL

Grafteful? Fuckin’ grateful for what?

DANNY

…And remember all the good times and fond memories and let us cherish the thought of him deep in our hearts and he played his favourite song and it wasn’t even his favourite fuckin’ song. But he's not sitting with the angels in heaven is he? He blew his fuckin’ brains out. He blew his fuckin’ brains out all over the Rec and he did it cuz he was so fuckin’ sad, so fuckin’ sad and empty and angry and broken and lost and everything…

MICHAEL

They don't let his sort into God's kingdom Danny, that’s why the vicar had to lie and keep it all a secret.

DANNY

They’re liars.

MICHAEL

Stone wouldn't want to be in God's kingdom anyway.

DANNY

Cut me up seeing Stone’s mum, seeing her sit there, being so brave while everybody else cracked up around her.

MICHAEL

All those tears rolling down people’s faces, all that noisy crying, it did my head in.

DANNY

That noise she made, when the coffin disappeared behind the curtains, it cut me in half. I stuck my nails into my palms, I bit my tongue.

MICHAEL

This is doing my head in.

DANNY

I was alright until she touched me, until she hugged me and I could feel her shake with the pain.

11 comments:

  1. So what do I have to do to get on your email list? Beautiful photo, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess: I was only gonna' email it to people in the biz to kinda proof read and advise but if you want a copy, email me and I'll send it to you.

    Saur: so do I!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds both raw and beutiful, Daniel. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel, ahh, but you've done it more recently than I. My last gig was a couple of years ago. Of course I don't pursue it as a career, but I can understand why you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice one Dan.. i would be well chuffed to get a copy of your work!

    Any news from the factory re that research you wanted to do?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barnze: Marie is weighing up options to suit her research best but thanks for all your help skipper! I'll email you a copy! It's all about Notts, you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Got it thanks mate! I will get into it when i finish at the factory!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just finished reading your work Dan..Top stuff! Lets hope you can get moving with it!

    ReplyDelete

Please do not be under the misapprehension that this blog has a laissez-faire comments policy where commenters can get away with whatever they want to say on account of their ‘freedom of speech’.

Blurred Clarity has a stringent comments policy. So anything off-topic, diversionary, trollish, abusive, misogynist, racist, homophobic or xenophobic will be deleted.

Cheers duckies.