Thursday, 12 January 2006

I Don't Want Perfect


I was on my way to the tube today to pop into Loughton to do a bit of business when I was stopped by an old lady who said she was sorry to bother me and that she wasn't selling anything. Turned out she was lying. Twice.

So I stopped, I wasn't in a rush and she asked me if any political party really fit the bill in terms of looking after humans and the planet. She couldn't have asked a worse person but before I unleashed all kinds of heavy politics on her old ass I enquired if she meant any party that currently existed or if I could cherry pick a fantasy political party.

She didn't answer. She just stared deep into my eyes and said that humans make mistakes, they humans are imperfect and that we can't rule the world and that only Jesus can.

I nearly hit her but instead I gave her a withering glance and made it quite clear that...
  1. I'm not religious
  2. Making mistakes is good, we learn from them
  3. I love imperfection, imperfection is what makes life so sweet
  4. God isn't perfect

It was the turn of the nice old lady to look at me with disgust and retort: "If you'd seen some of the imperfect people I have seen you wouldn't say that."

"Do you mean disabled people?" I asked.

"Yes, they're all imperfect and they're all so unhappy!"

She wandered off at this point to hassle some other un-suspecting citizen and no doubt shout at a wheelchair user or the spastic kid.

Who needs perfection? Life would be so dull. Unless it's fried chicken, then it has to be perfect...

9 comments:

  1. Even imperfection can be perfect in its' own way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about fried chicken.... and thought your post was hilarious! You are one funny and sassy guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ARGH do I hate hearing someone trying to inject religion into politics. That is a sure-fire recipe for disaster.

    It reminds me of the time that I passed a table set up outside the library, where a bunch of religious zealots were trying to get everyone to sign a petition returning prayer to schools. I was just going to ignore it until one of them tried to get our attention. When I brushed it off, she said something about how our founding fathers were Christians and THEY would have approved.

    That's when I, amateur historian, turned around and went back to argue her to the mat. After all, most of our founders were agnostic at best. They hardly fit the stereotypical Christian fundie mold that she belonged in.

    I am continuously amazed by how ignorant the vast majority of people are. I shouldn't be, but I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the record, "Best Thai Food" in Minneapolis, MN really does have the best Thai food. But there's a subtle difference between best & perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I talked to a Jehovah's Witness today while trying to help save Canada from the American annihilation.

    It seems they don't like to be disturbed at home.

    The irony.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The politics of imperfection! What a great title for a book, no?

    Your British sense of humour is ravishing.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The trick to deal with folks like this is to listen intently and agree with them. On the first mention of Jesus, cock your head to one side and say: "How did you know?"

    This will confuse your target allowing you to start ranting and raving about how you are Jesus ressurected and you have come to save them from Satan. Work yourself up into a religious frenzy drooling about being a conduit to God and hearing the voice of Jesus telling you that you are on a personal crusade to save souls. Then suddenly ask them very calmly if they would like to come back to your house for private communion so you can save them from the evils of the world. I guarantee they will soon draw away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellant comeback, Darren... I'll have to remember that next time I'm approached. Even though I'm a Catholic (lapsed), I don't believe in all these recruiters out there.
    And I hate that they come to my door to preach that their "word" is the true word of God. How the heck do they know that?... and why should I believe them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. fantastic food for thought--or should that be chicken food for thought? or...never mind! See, I am imperfect, too! Hurray...it is imperfection that makes wit -- whether attempted or otherwise--so endearing!!

    SO, I am ALL for imperfection.

    Great post!!:-)

    ReplyDelete

Please do not be under the misapprehension that this blog has a laissez-faire comments policy where commenters can get away with whatever they want to say on account of their ‘freedom of speech’.

Blurred Clarity has a stringent comments policy. So anything off-topic, diversionary, trollish, abusive, misogynist, racist, homophobic or xenophobic will be deleted.

Cheers duckies.