Monday, 12 February 2007

The Lesson

I know I said I was taking a break from blogging but I got mentioned in the Sunday Times as an example of a good blogger, someone who "details the sometimes tragically funny world of a struggling actor". Struggling?

*cough*

And I’d just like to use my bit of the Internet to plug my new show, in case any of my UK based readers would like to come and see me act. If you’re the maniac in Canada obsessively attacking my girlfriend and me then please feel free to die in a plane crash on your journey over to see me…

The show is called ‘The Lesson’ and it is on at the White Bear Theatre in Kennington (a short trot from Kennington tube station on the Northern Line), 20th-24th February at 8.30pm and 25th February at 5.30pm; very reasonably priced tickets can be purchased from the box office on 020 793 9193.

I’ll leave you with the blurb for the show and I hope to see some of you there, I better go and learn my lines…

The Lesson, by one of the founding fathers of the theatre of the absurd, is alive and kicking with tragedy and humour, bleakness and farce. It is a chilling, but anarchically funny drama of verbal domination. An ‘antiplay’ where dream, nonsense and fantasy combine to create an unsettling view of society. The pupil has eagerly arrived for her lesson; the Professor is ready for her; what lesson shall ensue though?...

The Lesson is a play which deals with the issues of power and sexual politics. It challenges the notions of authority, political domination and dogma. As the drama unfolds we are provoked to question the assumption that received knowledge is the same as reasoned understanding.

A bright young pupil, full of confidence and aspiration, eagerly awaits her lesson. The, seemingly anxious, Professor arrives to give it to her. At first he is pleased with her progress and with the knowledge she has acquired so far, but as the lesson continues, and the holes in her learning and her capabilities are exposed, the more and more frustrated the Professor becomes with his young Pupil; and the more nonsensical his lecture becomes. As the Pupil’s confusion increases so too does the pain she is suffering and the Professor’s aggression. Until he goes too far; despite his concerned maid’s constant warnings not to.

7 comments:

  1. Break a leg, Daniel. (You guys say that there too, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My birthday is the 21st, so I expect that you've already put the complimentary tickets in the post, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for the Times and their good sense to mention you.

    As for Ionesco, cool. I can only imagine what he has to say about education....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it is worth destroying a perfectly good plane, even if it had no passengers to deal with the "maniac".

    He is wallowing in his own shit, and is thus contained.


    Looks like you are climbing the curve! Things happening faster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not all Canadians are maniacs. Some of us are crackpots, cuckoo, loony, madmen, madwomen, psycho and the rest are sickies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be there with bells on!!!
    I won't saying which night, just incase on of my many stalkers feels the need to crash the party!
    Perhaps we could just send the lunatic some anthrax in the post??

    mwa ha ha ha xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Then they will learn nothing.

    They believe anyone not following their views must die. We need not lower ourselves.

    They continue to wallow in their own self importance and remain neutralized.

    ReplyDelete

Please do not be under the misapprehension that this blog has a laissez-faire comments policy where commenters can get away with whatever they want to say on account of their ‘freedom of speech’.

Blurred Clarity has a stringent comments policy. So anything off-topic, diversionary, trollish, abusive, misogynist, racist, homophobic or xenophobic will be deleted.

Cheers duckies.