Thursday, 1 February 2007

A Stolen Poem

John van der Put is a lovely man and a very gifted blogger and I feel honoured to be his friend, I read his latest post and felt profoundly moved by it and feel it should be shared with a wider audience. So here it is, love to you John.

for emelie

I put your name on the door
Though I knew you weren't coming
I stood before strangers
And I prayed you weren't comingI
talked and they laughed
Because they knew you weren't coming
I knelt and I begged
But I knew you weren't coming

Things I wanted to say but didn't fit into the poem which doesn't really say what I wanted it to: I did the whole show to an empty door waiting for you to come in. I have no hope but grace, it's all I hold on to, it's all I can face. I ate dinner and couldn't taste it. I miss you like nothing else.

1 comment:

  1. On one hand, we spend so much of our lives facing an imaginary audience--seeing ourselves in the third person and preoccupied with the way we are perceived by ones we love, ones we don't, and ones who don't really exist (History, the public, God, etc.). On the other hand, what are our lives worth except the interactions we have with others?

    I guess I'm trying to say, cool poem. Melancholy, but cool.

    ReplyDelete

Please do not be under the misapprehension that this blog has a laissez-faire comments policy where commenters can get away with whatever they want to say on account of their ‘freedom of speech’.

Blurred Clarity has a stringent comments policy. So anything off-topic, diversionary, trollish, abusive, misogynist, racist, homophobic or xenophobic will be deleted.

Cheers duckies.