Tuesday, 7 August 2007

Texan Theatre and a Slut in the Hut

One of the joys of Edinburgh is getting to see good shows, there is so much out there and so much crap but occasionally you get a gem that reminds you why you love theatre; live bodies in a space making work for the other live bodies in the space.

As a massive fan of the amazing online comic Get Your War On I knew that there was a good chance I'd love the show performed by Texan theatre company the Rude Mechs and love it I did. High energy, top quality, focused performances from an excellent troupe that conveyed all the funny fury of the injustice of the Bush regime. Laughs, a tinge of sadness and wonderful choreography, if you're an American and they come within 300 miles of you go see them now!

Tim Key and his show Slut in the Hut is a different prospect all together, playing seemingly to his fan base who lapped up every word as if it were treats from the treat tree; he sailed through his performance with great confidence and imagination. However, the show was missing something for me, the format of bad poetry and non-sequiturs quickly ran its course and I was left wanting something more.

More updates as I get time on all the madness I've seen...oh and Eva-Jane has took some lovely photos, more of that later...

4 comments:

  1. I've heard that Blair: The Musical is good stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With ushering and free tickets awards for ushering, I saw 20 shows at The Minnesota Fringe. I liked "Bouffon Glass Menagerie" quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read their was too many performances, for the audience size. It was spread too thin.

    You had over 2000 perfirmances, in Minneapolis we had about 800.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father was once a Broadway actor whose hopes for me were nothing short of being a playwright.

    You should have seen the look on his face one day in high school when I told him I was considering accounting as a good field--you know, for the money. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please do not be under the misapprehension that this blog has a laissez-faire comments policy where commenters can get away with whatever they want to say on account of their ‘freedom of speech’.

Blurred Clarity has a stringent comments policy. So anything off-topic, diversionary, trollish, abusive, misogynist, racist, homophobic or xenophobic will be deleted.

Cheers duckies.