Thursday, 14 August 2008

Rollins Still "Keeping it Real"

Tuesday's spoken word gig by Henry Rollins at the IndigO2 was the third time in twelve months Eva-Jane and I had shared an evening with the legend that is Rollins and once again, we were not disappointed.

Over three hours Henry took us on yet another epic adventure, which included repeated and brutal assaults on Bush, wonderful story telling on Burma, South Africa, Vietnam, Northern Ireland, Laos, the killing fields of Cambodia and plenty of background on the current conflict in Georgia (such as Stalin was born in Georgia, Gori in fact, which the Russian's have bombed to bits) thrown in for good measure. All delivered in his trade mark style that mixes moments of high comedy, self-effacing humour and heart on sleeve, passionate delivery that urges you to do something about it.

In fact, soon as we got home, we donated some money to the United Nations World Food Programme and I urge you guys to do the same. That's the joy of Mr. Rollins, it's not a whinge-fest but an uplifting call to arms, to get up off your fat ass and change things for the better. I must say one of the most distressing parts of the show was near the end, when he talked about New Orleans as it stands now and the terrible stories that still haunt the city as it tries to rebuild.

I know that after he's done in Europe he's back over in the US so I urge all of my readers to check out the tour dates here and if you've a few spare bucks, to go see him in action and have an invigorating night of spoken word. I'll leave you with some words from the great man...

“If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always. I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you.”

"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts.”

5 comments:

  1. In the limited field of 80s hardcore punk, I'm more of a fan of the Dead Kennedys than Black Flag. Rollins is great, though - he has a very genuine ambition that I admire.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's booked to play a big theater in Mpls.

    A tattoo limits what rolls you can play. An entertainer should never have a tattoo. Think of a wrestler who is masked, and has a tattoo on his arm. You can't change your identity with your body marked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben: cool, glad you dig proper punk rock, I love the DKs but Black Flag capture my heart, DKs were very cerebral to me.

    RE: well, it's done now, disagree it limits what I can do but be happy to have the discussion with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed it is my good man, great new picture by the way...

    ReplyDelete

Please do not be under the misapprehension that this blog has a laissez-faire comments policy where commenters can get away with whatever they want to say on account of their ‘freedom of speech’.

Blurred Clarity has a stringent comments policy. So anything off-topic, diversionary, trollish, abusive, misogynist, racist, homophobic or xenophobic will be deleted.

Cheers duckies.