Tuesday, 20 January 2009

Censorship: Yes We Can!

"What story?"

This is how this story starts...

Someone starts Googling their name and to their horror discovers that I wrote a blog post three months ago, read by about 50 people, about how bad they and their colleagues were at their job (in my humble but honest opinion, consider it a review).

Instead of contacting me about it, perhaps using the email address in my profile, or the comment form, they run to their boss, who in turn contacts my employer at the time I wrote the blog post in question. So the boss leans on my ex-boss, who then emails me and asks me to remove the blog or to at least edit it so that the names are changed to protect the guilty (in my humble but honest opinion).

Out of due respect to them and despite my hatred of this minuscule but embarrassing part of the Internet being censored, the post in question has been removed, for now, but obviously Google keep a cache of the page for a short while; so check it out whilst you can and see what all the fuss was about.

For the record, it's not the first time, Blogger censored me back in 2006 about this post here, where incidentally I think I was in the wrong to publish the ladies email address.

"What fucking story?"

Now how about some fucking perspective?

As Dr. Martin Luther King predicted, a black man, a great man, is going to become President today and that is a truly amazing, beautiful and wonderful thing that fills me with so much hope and joy for the world we live in and our shared future.

YES WE CAN!



It was a creed written into the founding documents that declared the destiny of a nation.

Yes we can.

It was whispered by slaves and abolitionists as they blazed a trail toward freedom.

Yes we can.

It was sung by immigrants as they struck out from distant shores and pioneers who pushed westward against an unforgiving wilderness.

Yes we can.

It was the call of workers who organized; women who reached for the ballots; a President who chose the moon as our new frontier; and a King who took us to the mountaintop and pointed the way to the Promised Land.

Yes we can to justice and equality.

Yes we can to opportunity and prosperity.

Yes we can heal this nation.

Yes we can repair this world.

Yes we can.

We know the battle ahead will be long, but always remember that no matter what obstacles stand in our way, nothing can stand in the way of the power of millions of voices calling for change.

We have been told we cannot do this by a chorus of cynics...they will only grow louder and more dissonant ........... We've been asked to pause for a reality check. We've been warned against offering the people of this nation false hope.

But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope.

Now the hopes of the little girl who goes to a crumbling school in Dillon are the same as the dreams of the boy who learns on the streets of LA; we will remember that there is something happening in America; that we are not as divided as our politics suggests; that we are one people; we are one nation; and together, we will begin the next great chapter in the American story with three words that will ring from coast to coast; from sea to shining sea --

Yes. We. Can.

11 comments:

  1. The video makes me feel a bit sick! It's like a Coca Cola advert....! I do dig Obamas passion though, reminds of when Kevin Keegan first took over Newcastle United! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean this story?:

    "Just got back from another leg of the Zero tour and it was a tale of two halves.

    First part of the week in Manchester, at the excellent Contact Theatre where we did three shows that were either full or nearly full and that went down a storm. In fact, we got a jolly nice review in Manchester with the tag line:

    "A powerful and thought-provoking play, as brilliantly performed as it is directed."

    But Newbury and the Corn Exchange was a very different story indeed, mainly because they had not only failed to sell any fucking tickets (well, they managed to shift eleven but one of those was Adeel's mum and he's in it so that doesn't count) but they had sold the show on their website as...wait for it...IMPROVISED COMEDY.

    You couldn't fucking make it up could you?

    What makes it worse is that they were part of the consortium that got Zero off the ground, so you'd have thought they'd have invested maximum effort in selling the show, not only that but they actually have three staff members dedicated to marketing.

    Ruth Cadiot for example, who is in charge of sales and marketing, I repeat Ruth Cadiot who is allegedly in charge of sales and marketing. Then there is Imogen Curtis, I repeat Imogen Curtis, who is a marketing and audience development officer (excuse me while I piss my pants with laughter) and they even have a marketing assistant: Lorraine Beck.

    What were the three of them doing? Are they ashamed of themselves? Should they be shot?

    I just hope Adeel's mum liked it... "

    Just checking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirky mate, that made me laugh out loud, Obama and Keegan, only you could've figured out a connection.

    Cool.

    Pinksy: I couldn't possibly comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you.

    You know that.

    Sometimes it's the people that love you that have to point out when you are being self-destructive.

    I'm sorry.

    I'm always on your side.
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you.

    You know that.

    And I understand and appreciate that you're there for me, to watch my back, to point out tripfalls and hazards and reel me in when I'm being a fool and I'm grateful for your faith, patience and words, I really am.

    When you coming home for lamb action with nice bread and spinach?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please. The great man's name was Martin Luther King Jr., Ph.D.

    His mother and father did not name the man "Doctor," nor was he a physician or dentist. Please.

    And Bush is not President Bush but "FORMER President Bush."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just glad Bush and Cheney don't have the football anymore. And I'm REALLY glad Sarah isn't anywhere near the football.

    ReplyDelete
  8. M@:

    you're so wrong it hurts, he had a D.Phil which means that he was entitled to use the prefix Dr. before his name, that is just the way it goes.

    And yes, you have plenty of titles in Amerika...

    Bud:

    Agreed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Silly boy! I thought you were clever. There are ways of writing about incompetent morons or scheming scumbags without sending yourself to the libel courts.

    One trick is to use psuedonyms for the people involved, but you have to be careful that you do not identify them.

    Take my example: I wrote a very short sentence in my blog that went something like this:

    "I fear I have been ripped off. My accountant joked with me that this person might have been the local drug dealer"

    Now, I have not mentioned who I am dealing with. I deal with a few different people on a professional level, so it is hard to identify yourself from that statement. And it was my accountant who mentioned anything about drug dealing and then he said it was a joke. Humour and libel make strange bed fellows and if you can prove that what you were writing was funny it can negate the libel.

    Anyhoo, the daughter of the man from whom I bought my shop, came into our premises and cancelled her account with us, citing that she couldn't support us because of what I've written about her father. Hmmmm? Was I writing about her father? Was I?

    So I instantly know that 1) I was ripped off and 2) He might have been the local drug dealer because there was something in that sentence that identified himself and the wrong he had done to me. I took the posting down, not because I have libelled him (I haven't) but because I took all the postings down about that village because people are talking.

    Not sure if I mentioned this before but the latest rumour from the mill is that the reason the work has been held up is that they found the skeletal remains of three dead babies in the rubble! Grown men in the local pub have been discussing and spreading this rumour. They really are ingrates.

    So I am writing my postings and how I feel about this stupid place and I will hit "publish" when I have moved on.

    The work is beginning on the repairs. The cost is £109,000. Thankfully, it has taken 3 months just to get the insurers to admit some liability. Hurrah! The person that has done this (again from the rumour mill so take with a pinch of salt) is an informant up from London, under Police protection. This explains why the court case didn't take place last Monday and the records of the incident keep "disappearing".

    Anyway, be very careful what you write DHG because people have very thin skins and are often looking for their pound of flesh. If this was America, you would have probably been hit with a million dollar lawsuit.

    Obama is suspending Gitmo. I am impressed, though I suspect that our "special" relationship with the US of Hey! is coming to an end. Is it becuz we is white?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Darren, I know you're right but the principle of the matter bugs the hell out of me.

    And yes, it's because we is white...

    ReplyDelete

Please do not be under the misapprehension that this blog has a laissez-faire comments policy where commenters can get away with whatever they want to say on account of their ‘freedom of speech’.

Blurred Clarity has a stringent comments policy. So anything off-topic, diversionary, trollish, abusive, misogynist, racist, homophobic or xenophobic will be deleted.

Cheers duckies.