Friday, 31 July 2009

Jerusalem

On Monday, Eva-Jane and I went to the legendary Royal Court theatre to see the latest show there called Jerusalem.

First off, if you have a chance you should really, really go and see it, it is a grand, sprawling, brilliant show that generates belly laughs as well as awkward poignancy. It is a spell bounding 3 hours 10 minutes of theatre that flies past.

I was up for this play, which in itself is a feat of leviathan like effort by my agent, just to get me in with a shout and break the glass ceiling. Once they'd help me get my foot in the door I did what I had to be done, auditioned well and got a recall, indeed, I got down to the last two; what an honour.

But then they went and broke my heart and gave the part to a famous actor, rather than me. Fair play to them but it was with some trepidation that Eva and I went to the theatre, I was hoping the famous guy that got the part would be utterly amazing, that he got it on merit not who he is; that he ground me into the dirt with his brilliance. Then the loss would feel justified.

Is goes without saying that he was average as hell, no presence, no gravitas, no nothing; it wasn't just the actor's fault, the part had been downsized but still, I would've been better. A lot better.

So the glass ceiling is still in place and the battle to break it goes on...

11 comments:

  1. I have a feeling you will smash through and make it big..

    ReplyDelete
  2. you got bumped for the Crook? Buggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not Crook Rich but if it's alright I don't want to say but I can assure you it wasn't Crook, who is really bloody good in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How frustrating. I'm very impressed that you wanted him to bo good though, thats being the bigger (although more frustrated person).

    If it was me I'd be praying the whole thing would get absolutely panned, the person with my part the most harshly so.

    Guess its a good thing I work in an office!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure your time is coming. You certainly have the passion for it. What do you think of Phantom of the Opera? I'm off to New York City in December to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgive my ignorance but his was the only name I recognized.
    Your silence on the matter is dignified and very professional - give it a few years and you'll be blabbing to heat magazine and falling out of the latest hip club having your underpants snapped by the paps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth:

    Indeed but that's the nature of the job, can't let it eat me up but it is hard.

    Jeff:

    Nice to have you by again Jeff, not seen it I'm afraid but do let me know what you think of it.

    Rich:

    You're not ignorant, I suppose many of the actors have TV careers but are only famous if you watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dan - I see it Decomeber 11th. I will let you know what I think then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have some humility, man. You won't get on if you carry that attitude. He got the job because he was right, the same way you get the jobs because you are right. OK?

    You are better than that to start bitching through your own failure - leave that BS to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Humility is hard in this business and doesn't get you far, you have to have ego, you have to want it that bad otheriwse you'll get tossed aside and even then, you will anyway.

    I know what you're saying but it's not always the case, it is sometimes who and what you know and what heat you bring.

    I've not had a whinge in ages but I take your point.

    ReplyDelete

Please do not be under the misapprehension that this blog has a laissez-faire comments policy where commenters can get away with whatever they want to say on account of their ‘freedom of speech’.

Blurred Clarity has a stringent comments policy. So anything off-topic, diversionary, trollish, abusive, misogynist, racist, homophobic or xenophobic will be deleted.

Cheers duckies.