Monday, 24 August 2009

ENGLAND WIN THE ASHES!

Heady times indeed, as England win the 2009 Ashes with a fine victory at the Oval yesterday.

I thought that the admirably stubborn and brilliant Aussies would hold out again, or perhaps generate some feat of leviathan effort to overhaul the 546 run target. I wouldn't put it past them, they have a willpower and focus that sometimes makes our English players look a victory-shy and squeamish bunch but yesterday, England took the wickets required to reclaim that tiny urn for another two years.

WELL DONE ENGLAND!

It made me cast my mind back to the Summer of 2005, when England last won the Ashes, a victory that meant more due to the voluminous gap since they last conquered the Australians and the terrible beatings the Aussies had inflicted on us in the preceding 16 years.

Back in 2005 I was living not far from the Oval (where the last Ashes test is always traditionally played), in Camberwell and was moving out that day to begin my life in Loughton, Essex and I could hear the cheers from my home as every run was scored and as I loaded up the van with my worldly possessions I kept one eye on the TV to keep abreast of what was happening.

It was a funny time, having just finished my MA in Acting at the Central School of Speech and Drama and was about to embark on a full-time acting career again after some time out learning. How things have progressed in those 4 years, my life is hardly recognisable (in a good way) and I sit typing this in my own home that I own, in a wonderful, loving relationship and actually making a living as an actor with some amazing adventures past and some great opportunities in the future.

And to add to the good sporting news, I read today that the UK is allegedly coming out of recession.

A brilliant excuse I think to put up a picture of the Australian captain Ricky "Punter" Ponting looking sad (he doesn't have cold sores by the way, he got hit in the face with a ball)...

And of the England team looking very happy indeed (they also don't have cold sores, they are just drunk)...

5 comments:

  1. Whooopee-doo! Life is wonderful! Tra-la-la-la-la...

    This morning I was awoken at 5am by my own body's attempt to kill me as I choked on my own vomit. Could it be stress? Or could it be a wish trying to come true?

    Tune in to tomorrow's exciting episode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who scored most runs?
    Australia

    Which team had six of the seven leading run makers?
    Australia

    Who took most wickets?
    Australia

    Which team had the three leading wicket-takers?
    Australia

    Who won the series?
    ENGLAND!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darren:

    Jesus man, you doing a Hendrix? Take it easy and enjoy some sporting joy and minor fiscal joy.

    Stephen:

    I know, it is so odd, England haven't done statistically so badly since 1902 or summat, odd but who cares, WE WON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen Chapman: That was a lot of wasted effort then, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neil, you make me laugh, England mastered the rule of as little effort for massive gain.

    Are they Tories perhaps?

    ReplyDelete

Please do not be under the misapprehension that this blog has a laissez-faire comments policy where commenters can get away with whatever they want to say on account of their ‘freedom of speech’.

Blurred Clarity has a stringent comments policy. So anything off-topic, diversionary, trollish, abusive, misogynist, racist, homophobic or xenophobic will be deleted.

Cheers duckies.