Tuesday, 12 January 2010

Nobody to Look After Her (Let us Try to Remember Them)



I was over at Back Towards The Locus yesterday and I stumbled upon this piece by BenSix and it brought tears right to my eyes as I read it; it was such a deeply troubling story that plays on all of your worst fears about loneliness, isolation, disconnection and watching a loved one die. I think it is a horror story, a story of such unremitting bleakness...if one reflects upon it, have the narrative in your mind's eye and try to transport yourself to the loneliness of it; the witness of death; both your own and the man you love. Truly horrible.
Police found the bodies of pensioners Jean and Derek Randall, both believed to be in their mid 70s, on Thursday after forcing entry into their home. It is feared Mrs Randall, who was confined to a wheelchair, and her husband, who was her sole carer, may have been dead for as long as five days. Police suspect that Mr Randall may have died first and Mrs Randall then died because she had nobody to look after her.
As BenSix puts it: "The poor Mrs Randall, then, was assaulted by intertwined horrors: the death of her husband, and her own deterioration, both of which she had to cope with in a state of total loneliness."

I don't know whether I am particularly sensitive right now but I can't get this story out of my head, I find it's content so moving, so traumatic...I close my eyes and keep seeing Mrs Randall there, as a stark witness to being forgotten, she must have gone out of her mind as she starved to death or...God knows what. So through this meagre effort and BenSix's blog post, let us try to remember them.

I can't wait for Eva-Jane to come home from work today. I miss you baby and I love you so much.

6 comments:

  1. A really sad story - and a touching post, Daniel.

    I did also spot the revolting attempt at making political hay out of this by the ever appalling Daily Mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A moving piece, Dan. Hope you didn't stay down for too long, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soon as my Eva-Jane came home, I was alright. Cheers Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly a sad story. However, I would like to point out that there were a number of people and agencies who tried to reach out to the man, and were rebuffed, repeatedly. His stubbornness and fear is a big part of the tragedy of this story. What was he thinking, turning away help like that? Did he ever consider the possibility that he would die before her? It seems not.

    Should care of his wife been taken from him? Who decides these things? Where is the line drawn? I am a big proponent of social services and helping those who need it, but the contract goes both ways. Those who need help need to be willing to accept it.

    Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. uphillrider:

    Indeed, through fear he made it easier for this tragedy to happen but really appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Please do not be under the misapprehension that this blog has a laissez-faire comments policy where commenters can get away with whatever they want to say on account of their ‘freedom of speech’.

Blurred Clarity has a stringent comments policy. So anything off-topic, diversionary, trollish, abusive, misogynist, racist, homophobic or xenophobic will be deleted.

Cheers duckies.