Friday, 19 February 2010

Some Pictures For The Weekend Sir?

I stumbled upon these, they are a mixed bag of images from Magnum, the international photography co-operative and they are all pretty damn awesome.

Something for the weekend sir?

Have a good one!

Chicago, USA, 1966. Muhammad Ali, boxing world heavyweight champion, showing off his right fist


Harlem, USA, 1963. Fire hydrants are opened in the summer heat


Illinois, USA, 1955. Marilyn Monroe resting


London, UK, 1964. The Beatles during filming of A Hard Day's Night


New York, USA, 1955. James Dean walks in Times Square


North Carolina, USA, 1950. A man takes a drink during the era of segregated water fountains


Omaha Beach, Normandy, 1944. The first wave of American troops lands at dawn


Washington, USA, 1963. Martin Luther King at the climax of his I Have a Dream speech

12 comments:

  1. Love the photos. A thousand words, indeed!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know, I thought to myself: "That 7th one looks suspiciously like the work of Robert Capa." So I went and checked. And it is. Damn, I'm pleased with myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pearl:

    Thanks for stopping by, really appreciate it.

    Highlander:

    Good spot sir, you're on fire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father has a great story about Ali. Says he was walking home in NYC from an acting class with a black girl... Saw a man staring him. Says he gave it right back. "I would have fought anyone at the time." Turned out to be a man named Clay. -- Matthew Mientka

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab photos. The one of Ali really gets me. I love that man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matthew:

    Now that is a great story and you're right, I do love America, can you tell?

    Ellie:

    I love the detail on the hand, it looks like it is made of oak.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just replied sir! on it's way to you as we speak via our fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've chosen some amazing and iconic photos from Magnum. Also shows how the monochrome can really tell the story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indeed, monochromes stripping away of colour gives us greater focus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pictures. Mind you any pictures of Monroe and Ali work for me

    ReplyDelete

Please do not be under the misapprehension that this blog has a laissez-faire comments policy where commenters can get away with whatever they want to say on account of their ‘freedom of speech’.

Blurred Clarity has a stringent comments policy. So anything off-topic, diversionary, trollish, abusive, misogynist, racist, homophobic or xenophobic will be deleted.

Cheers duckies.